Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of services does HopeSource provide?

HopeSource provides a wide variety of services including:


How do I qualify for HopeSource services?
Qualifications differ from program to program. Please see the services page to find out more about each program or contact one of our offices.

Registration is required for all services.

To register in Ellensburg, please contact our office (509-925-1448) and set up an appointment time.

To register in Cle Elum, please contact our office (509-925-1448674-2375) and set up an appointment time.

All households and individuals who want to register for HopeSource programs and services must provide all of the following documentation. Incomplete applications may be ineligible for services.

Call or stop by either the Ellensburg or the Cle Elum HopeSource office to find out more about each service qualification requirements.

Food Banks

»  Click here for food bank locations

What kinds of food are available?
The Food Banks have fresh, frozen and canned foods. The availability varies.

Where does the food come from?
The Food Banks receive food from many sources including private donations, the USDA, 2nd Harvest, grocery store donations, and by purchasing food.

I'm a diabetic/vegetarian/etc. Can I get food that I can eat?
Since you can "shop" for your food a family can pick what foods will work for them. Normally there are no sugar, low salt, and other special food items available.

How much food do I receive?
We base the amount on family size and provide at least three days worth of food. You should have enough for 3 breakfasts (which could include eggs, pancakes, cereals and fruit) 3 lunches (tuna or peanut butter sandwich, fresh vegetables or fruit, juice or soup) and 3 dinners (a casserole or stew, hamburgers, and fruits or vegetables).

I don't know what to do with the canned chicken/dried cherries/etc?
Food Bank personnel have recipes available for many of the USDA commodities and low cost, easy recipes for many kinds of foods. They can also help with food safety questions and what kinds of foods are for special diets.

I really don't need a lot. I'm just out of milk/meat/bread/etc. Can I still use the Food Bank?
You don't have to take anything you don't want or can't use. You can visit up to twice a month. Many times people only need the meat, milk, fresh fruit, and vegetables at the end of the month when their SNAP (food stamps) have all been used.

Also - both F.I.S.H. and Cle Elum Food Bank's have donated bread and other items available without actually having to get a box.

Home Weatherization

Can the Weatherization program do home repair?
Building rehabilitation is beyond the scope of the weatherization program. Incidental repairs necessary for the effective performance or preservation of weatherization materials can be made. Most repairs or improvements made to a home must be able to pay for themselves in energy savings.

How much energy can I save by having my house weatherized?
Results can vary, but it is not unusual to see energy savings of 10-20% in a home that has been fully weatherized.

Can you help me get some new windows and doors?
Very rarely are we able to replace a window or door. Replacing old single-pane windows with new double-pane windows saves energy, but the cost is high and the amount of energy saved is low. Window replacement is almost never cost-effective. If it seems drafty or uncomfortable around your windows and doors, there are measures that can be taken that are easy, effective, and cheap such as installing insulation kits, caulking around windows and adding weather stripping or door sweeps to doors. In order to provide the most energy savings for the dollar we must focus our efforts on measures like duct sealing, air sealing, and adding insulation. These measures can bring big improvements to your energy bills and to the comfort of your home.

Can you replace my furnace?
It is possible, but not likely. If HopeSource deems the furnace dysfunctional or unsafe then there could potentially be an opportunity for replacement.

If my home is selected to be weatherized, how long will the process take?
Project length varies depending on the home, the number of measures to install, and season. On average, from selection to final inspection, the entire process takes 2-6 months.

How much will this cost me?
It is free if you are a home owner and income eligible! Landlords may need to pay part of the cost depending on the type of work being done in the home.

Emergency & Transitional Housing

General Info.

How do I apply for any of the housing programs?
To be eligible for any of the programs offered at HopeSource, potential program participants must be registered with HopeSource (see above). Once registered, potential program participants may pick up and turn in program applications at both the Ellensburg and the Cle Elum HopeSource offices.

What counts as "proof of homelessness?"
Proof of homelessness can be a written statement from a professional working with the applicant or a person that the potential program participant is staying with or a self-declaration stating the current housing situation.

Emergency Shelter

Who is eligible for the emergency shelter?
Households that are homeless may be eligible for the shelter. Criminal history may make households ineligible. Housing priority goes to families with children first, followed by couples. Lowest priority for the emergency shelter goes to single individuals.

Where is the shelter located?
Due to the safety and privacy of the emergency shelter participants, the shelter location is not revealed until approval into the program. The shelter is within Ellensburg City Limits. Every household in the shelter has their own unit with no shared living area.

What are the expectations of shelter program participants?
Shelter program participants are expected to meet with their assigned case manager at least two times per week as well as attend regular educational classes through HopeSource. Participants are required to maintain constant contact with their case manager and show consistent progress in finding and securing stable housing.

What documents are required to be turned in with the application?
Proof of homelessness.

If there is no room in the shelter, does HopeSource keep a waiting list?
HopeSource does not keep a waiting list on the emergency shelter, and due to the size limitations the shelter is frequently full.

Are there other shelters in the area?

Domestic violence:
7th & Pearl, Ellensburg

Hospitality House
1450 S Wenatchee Ave

Salvation Army
1501 N Miller St A, Wenatchee

Red Cross - Apple Valley Chapter
12 Orondo Ave, Wenatchee

Union Gospel Mission
1300 N 1st St, Yakima

YWCA Family Crisis Program
15 N Naches Ave, Yakima

Yakima County Coalition for the Homeless
107 S 6th St, Yakima

Homeless Veterans Transitional Housing
301 S 6th St, Yakima

Yakima's Cold Weather Shelters Open November through mid-March
Hours: Open 6:00 pm to 6:00 am daily - Early arrivals at 5:30 pm
Men's Shelters:
First Baptist Church
515 E Yakima Ave

Englewood Christian Church
511 N 44th Ave

Women and Children Shelter:
Vineyard Christian Fellowship
221 E Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd

Transitional Housing

Who is eligible for transitional housing?
To participate in the transitional housing program, households must be homeless and have children.

What documents are required to be turned in with the application?
Proof of homelessness.
Letter of intent written by the potential program participant stating what they hope to gain from the program.
Letter of recommendation from another agency (such as DSHS) stating that they feel the potential household would be a good fit for the transitional housing program.

Where is the transitional housing located?
Transitional housing does not have a set housing location. Upon acceptance into the program, a case manager will work with the household in finding housing in Kittitas County.

How long is the transitional housing program?
Participants in the transitional housing program have access to a case manager for up to two years. Most participants transition out of the program into self-sufficiency in 14 to 16 months.

What is expected of transitional housing program participants?
Participants in the transitional housing program are expected to maintain consistent contact with their assigned case manager and demonstrate progress towards their long-term and short-term goals that will aid them in moving closer to self-sufficiency. Lack of participation and progress may jeopardize housing.

Crestview Terrace Housing First

How do I apply for the Crestview Terrace Housing First program?
The application process begins at Crestview Terrace, 2101 North Alder Street, 509-925-6616. Once a participant passes the initial screening they will be referred down to HopeSource by the apartment manager if participation in case management is required for entry into housing.

Who may be eligible for the Crestview Terrace Housing First program?
Any household that is currently homeless may apply for the Crestview Terrace Housing First program. Criminal history and/or bad rental history as determined by Crestview Terrace management may make households ineligible.

What is expected of Crestview Terrace Housing First program participants?
Participants in the Crestview Terrace Housing First program are expected to maintain consistent contact with their assigned case manager and demonstrate progress towards their long-term and short-term goals that will aid them in moving closer to self-sufficiency. Lack of participation and progress may jeopardize housing.

What documents do I need to bring to my Crestview Terrace Housing First intake at HopeSource?

Rent Assistance

Who is eligible for rent assistance?
Move-In: Households may be eligible for Move-In assistance if they are homeless, have a lease already signed, have not received rent assistance in the past two years, and if their household income is more than their rent.

How much money can HopeSource pay?
HopeSource can pay for half of one month's rent up to $400. Checks will be mailed directly to the landlord and can take up to two weeks to be mailed after approval.

What documents are required to be turned in with the application?


Energy Assistance

What should I bring with me to my scheduled energy assistance appointment?

You will be asked to provide the following information.  Failure to do so will potentially result in the cancelation of your appointment. Please read the list carefully and call the HopeSource office with any questions.  It is better to clarify any problems (e.g. no SS card, questions about income, etc.) before the appointment.

  1. Photo ID for the every person in the household over the age of 18.

  2. Social Security Cards (legible copies are acceptable) for every person in the household. If someone does not have a physical Social Security card, we accept any official document that states the person's name and their Social Security number (e.g. W-2 statement, paystub, Social Security statement, copy of your taxes, etc.)  If the person has never been issued a social security number they must provide a birth certificate.

  3. All income documentation for every person in the household over the age of 18 for the previous three months from the time of your appointment (e.g. if the appointment is in January, then you will need income documentation for October, November, and December). If someone in the household over the age of 18 has not earned income for any period of time during the previous three months they will be required to sign a "Declaration of No Income" form. Sample income sources and types of documentation required are listed below:

    • Employment: Pay stubs, employer income verification computer printout.
    • Unemployment: Pay stubs or computer printout from the unemployment office.
    • Self-Employment: Monthly profit/loss statements, bookkeeping records, receipts, or IRS records.
    • L&I: Payment stubs or printout from L&I.
    • TANF/GAU: Award letters or printout from DSHS.
    • SSI/SSA: Award letters(s), copy of checks, or bank statements if direct deposit.
    • Pension: Award letter(s), copy of checks of VA statement.
    • Financial Aid: Award letter.
    • Child Support/Alimony: Copy of checks, divorce decree, print out for support enforcement.
    • Rental Income: Receipts of statements from tenant.
    • Zero Income: Declaration of No Income. You may obtain a "Declaration of No Income" form from a HopeSource staff member.
  4. Last/Most Recent utility bill or receipt (must include name and account information).

  5. Electric/Gas Heat Cost Documentation: Twelve month printout of usage from utility company.

  6. Other Heat Source Documentation, e.g. oil, propane, pellets, etc. (if applicable): Your last monthly bill or receipt that lists your account information.

  7. 24 Hour/Final Shut-Off Notice (if applicable).

  8. Verification of Current Physical Address: Utility bill in applicant's name, driver's license, rent receipt, etc.

I submitted a request for energy assistance (via phone or the HopeSource website), but have not heard back from anyone. What should I do?
HopeSource receives a large number of energy assistance requests every year. Due to the high volume of requests, especially in October-January, it may be anywhere from a couple of days to over 2-3 months before we are able to schedule you for an appointment. If you have not received an appointment card in the mail within 2-3 months of your request for energy assistance you may call our office at 509-925-1448 to make sure we have received your information and that we have your correct name and address.  Please do not submit your information more than once.

What type of energy assistance is available?
The goal of HopeSource's energy assistance program is to assist households with their heating costs. Thus assistance is given for a variety of heat sources including natural gas, electric, oil, propane, wood, pellets, and durologs. Awards vary between $25 and $1,000 based upon income, the number of people living in the household, and annual energy costs.

What if I miss my appointment?
We will not reschedule you until you contact us and asked to be rescheduled. In most cases your name will be placed at the bottom of the list and you will be required to wait 1-2 months to receive another appointment. For this reason it is essential that you make every possible effort to make it to your energy assistance appointment on time with all of the proper documentation. If you miss 2 or more appointments you may possibly forfeit your opportunity to receive energy assistance from HopeSource. If you know beforehand that you will not make an appointment, please call us and let us know. This will improve your chances of not being put at the end of the list.

What if I have a 24 hour/final shut-off notice or less than 10 days worth of a heat source (oil, propane, wood, etc.)?
Please contact us and let us know your situation even if you have already submitted your information to receive an energy assistance appointment. We reserve a set number of appointments each week for people in crisis situations. Please note that you will be required to bring proof of your 24 hour/final shut-off notice to your appointment.

What if my scheduled appointment date is after the date my power is to be shut off/disconnected?
In most cases you should be able to call your utility provider and tell them that you have an appointment with HopeSource and they will not disconnect your power. We do not, however, have the authority to stop a utility company from shutting off your power.

Am I eligible for a second award?
Yes, possibly. It depends on your utility provider and available funding. Every Energy Assistance applicant who is approved could receive an award from the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). In addition, all Puget Sound Energy customers could be considered for a second award from the PSE HELP program. Kittitas Public Utility District customers could qualify for a second award from the PUD’s Helping Hands fund if they are over the age of 60.

I received an energy assistance award over 3 weeks ago, but I don't see a credit on my bill.
On average it takes 4-8 weeks from that date you receive your energy award to the date it actually appears on your utility bill as a credit. Once you receive your award letter you should bring it directly to your utility provider. They will make a note on your account, but in most cases you will still continue to receive late notices until the utility company receives payment from HopeSource.


How can I get a ride on the bus?
Call HopeSource transportation at 509-933-2287 in Ellensburg, or toll-free at 509-674-2251 in Cle Elum. Dispatch hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.

Who is allowed to ride the bus? What are the qualifications?
HopeSource Transit has a priority to passengers over the age of 60 and to those with disabilities. However, anyone may book a ride with us. Central Transit is open to the general public.

My ride is scheduled at 11:00. When can I expect the bus?
HopeSource Transit has a 30 minute pickup window. That means the bus can arrive at your pick up location anywhere from 15 minutes before your requested pick up time to 15 minutes after your requested pick up time.

Are the busses equipped with wheelchair lifts?
Yes. All our busses are equipped with wheelchair lifts that will accommodate a chair 32 inches wide. We also have a minivan with a ramp that will accommodate a chair 30 inches wide.

Can I use HopeSource to go shopping and to visit friends?
The priority system for HopeSource Transit is medical services, social services, senior nutrition, and employment. However, Central Transit makes regular stops at Fred Meyer, Super 1, and Safeway as well as many residential and campus areas. Follow this link for a route map.

How much does it cost to ride the bus?
HopeSource Transit has a suggested donation of $1 within Ellensburg and within Cle Elum. Between Ellensburg and Cle Elum, the suggested donation is $2. Central Transit is free, with donations accepted.

Every dollar put to good use

Expenditures based on annual revenue as of the current audit year.

HopeSource locations

Ellensburg Office

700 E. Mountain View, Suite 501
Ellensburg, WA 98926

Phone: 509.925.1448
Fax: 509.925.1204

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Closed Saturday & Sunday

110 Pennsylvania Ave
Cle Elum, WA 98922

Phone: 509.674.2375
Fax: 509.674.5187

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm & 12:30 pm - 4:00 pm

Wednesday: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm & 12:30 pm - 5:00 pm

Closed Friday through Sunday